How are you storing grain after harvest?

With next summer being our first harvest I am trying to get a picture of grain management from the combine auger until it is delivered to a buyer.

Here is my current plan.

• empty combine into super sacks
  • clean grain ASAP, either at a local elevator or on the farm
  • store in super sacks or 50# bags in the shop with no fumigation or climate control and only some rats (kidding! mostly)
  • bag for sale and deliver

This is how it will work in my imagination, what am I missing? What have you done that has worked or not worked? Can rats be trained to run an air cleaner? Thanks!

2 Likes

@capaymills or @grassvalleygrains do you have any advice for Jon.

Jon. We are so excited about your first grain harvest next year. We know a lot of bakers and millers out there will be thrilled to get your grains. Positive energy sending your way for planting and growing season.
@jon_eck
Claudia.

2 Likes

These topics are so gosh dang SALIENT! Loving your contributions. I’m going to tag @nan and @dave on this. As some very savvy end-users they may have feedback.

Hey Jon,

Shoot me a pmail and I’ll share some hard-learned experiences. I have a trailer of used seed bins sitting in my yard at the moment, and will head down to my storage space to fumigate several tons of stored grain later this week.

• David
3 Likes

Thanks David, I will definitely do that!

1 Like